Skip to main content

Out of State Colleges & Universities / WUE


Check the admissions page on your college's website for application deadlines.

The WESTERN UNDERGRADUATE EXCHANGE (WUE) is a program of the Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education (WICHE). Students who are residents of WICHE states are eligible to request a reduced tuition rate of 150% of resident tuition at participating two- and four-year college programs outside of their home state. 

Apply directly to your chosen WUE college or university (and not to WICHE itself). Some schools have special eligibility requirements or annual WUE admission quotas, found in that school’s WUE profile. It is best to apply early to a WUE college or university to enhance your chances of receiving the WUE rate.  Some WUE schools will only award a certain amount - they have a "quota" allotment.  If you still have questions, contact the school’s office that administers WUE (admissions, financial aid, or the scholarship office), as indicated in the profile. Some schools automatically consider applicants from a WICHE state for the WUE rate, but many require that applicants request the WUE rate when applying for admission. Check to see if they have a special WUE application.

Early Action vs. Early Decision vs Regular Admission

Early Decision (ED) plans are binding. Students who is accepted as an ED applicant must attend the college/university.  A student should be absolutely sure that the college/university is their first choice when applying Early Decision.  Early Action (EA) plans are non-binding.  Students receive an early response to their application but do not have to commit to the college/university until the normal reply date of May 1st.  Applying Early Decision or Early Action does not increase your chances of being accepted.  If you are not accepted Early Decision or Early Action, your application will be processed and evaluated during the Regular Admissions process.

Please note that Early Action does not pertain to UC or CSU; please see application filing periods for UC/CSU. 

Most Regular Admissions deadlines will be somewhere between December 1st through January 15th.

What does "Rolling Admissions" mean?  Very common at larger schools, usually state schools. This allows students to apply anytime within set admissions cycle. This is usually from September through July. Once the school receives the application they will review and send an admissions decision. Admissions are granted on first come first served basis so earlier is better. 

Financial Aid Information

Some out-of-state universities and colleges may require you to complete the CSS/Financial Aid Profile to determine your eligibility for their own institution's grants, scholarships, and other financial assistance.

Complete the FAFSA here at FAFSA.  File your FAFSA between October 1st and March 2. Check your school's FAFSA deadline as some out-of-state colleges and universities have different FAFSA deadlines than California.

Interesting Lists

These resources are available for you to search for colleges and/or majors:

Virtual Job Shadow

 - read carefully and make up your own mind.